Enrollment in the Mandarin Dual Language Immersion program is on a first come, first serve basis.
Enrollment is not guaranteed to students who have a sibling already enrolled in the DLI program. The sibling must register for Kindergarten and then sign up for DLI.
Registration for the 2023-2024 school year will be April 6th – May 5th, 2023. If you are interested in signing up your student or would like to have additional information please plan to attend for informational meeting on Thursday, April 6th at 6:30 pm in the BPS cafeteria. At the end of this meeting you will be allowed to sign up your student.
How are students selected for the program?
There are spaces available in the DLI program. Students will be enrolled in the program in the order the online registration is received. Once all the slots are full, the remaining students will be placed on a waiting list. Students who apply after the deadline will also be placed on a waiting list in order of date of application.
Who can participate in the program?
The BCSC Mandarin Dual Immersion Program is open to all students of varying backgrounds and abilities enrolling in Kindergarten at Batesville Primary School. Parents who feel that their child may have significant communication delays in their first language should seriously weigh the pros and cons of enrolling their child in an immersion program.
Parents must agree to the following terms:
- Research indicates an immersion program is most effective when students remain in the program for a sustained period of time. The student will be expected to continue the program until the fifth grade unless a team decision is made involving the parent and school staff that it is in the best interest of the student to have different placement.
- I understand that I will need to read to or with my child at home 20-30 minutes daily in English.
- There will also be homework in Chinese. I will commit to helping my child with their homework.
- I will give positive reinforcement to my child and teacher. I understand that it is not unusual for children in this program to experience some fatigue, tears, and frustration during the first months. Knowing this, I will not remove my child for this reason.
- I understand that fifty percent of my child’s instruction time will be in Mandarin Chinese.
- I understand that regular and punctual student attendance is required. I commit to having my child attend school regularly and on time.
- I understand that throughout the program pictures and videos of my child will be taken and used for educational and promotional purposes.