Enrollment in the Mandarin Dual Language Immersion program is on a first come, first serve basis.
Enrollment is not guaranteed to students who have a sibling already enrolled in the DLI program. The sibling must register for Kindergarten and then sign up for DLI.
2024-2025 Incoming Kindergarten Registration (Registration opens during our prospective parent meeting on April 4, 2024)
For more information, all families, including those with children currently in DLI, are asked to attend this informational session:
Thursday, April 4, 2024 – 6:30 p.m. – BPS Cafeteria (Enter Door E on westside of building)
Enrollment for this program is on a first come, first serve basis (Minimum of 22 students must enroll; will accept up to 24-25 students). All students registered for DLI are still required to register for kindergarten and attend the kindergarten registration and academic screening on April 11, 2024.
How are students selected for the program?
Students will be enrolled in the program in the order the online registration is received. Once all the slots are full, the remaining students will be placed on a waiting list. Students who apply after the deadline will also be placed on a waiting list in order of date of application.
Who can participate in the program?
The BCSC Mandarin Dual Immersion Program is open to all students of varying backgrounds and abilities enrolling in Kindergarten at Batesville Primary School. Parents who feel that their child may have significant communication delays in their first language should seriously weigh the pros and cons of enrolling their child in an immersion program.
Parents must agree to the following terms:
- Research indicates an immersion program is most effective when students remain in the program for a sustained period of time. Students will continue in the program unless a team decision is made involving the parent and school staff that it is in the best interest of the student to have different placement.
- I understand that I will need to read to or with my child at home 20-30 minutes daily in English.
- I will commit to helping my child with their homework.
- I will give positive reinforcement to my child and teacher. I understand that it is not unusual for children in this program to experience some fatigue, tears, and frustration during the first months. Knowing this, I will not remove my child for this reason.
- I understand that my child will be enrolled in a full immersion program with one Mandarin Chinese homeroom teacher.
- I understand that regular and punctual student attendance is required. I commit to having my child attend school regularly and on time.
- I understand that throughout the program pictures and videos of my child will be taken and used for educational and promotional purposes.