Physics - Ch. 22 Terms and Objectives
New Terms in Chapter 22:
||Newton's Law of Cooling
Chapter 22 Objectives:
When you have completed chapter 22, you should be able to:
- ... describe energy transfer by conduction, and give examples.
- ... discuss the differences between conductors and insulators of heat energy.
- ... explain why a metal object often feels colder than a wood or cloth item at the same temperature.
- ... recognize that conduction is more efficient in solids than in liquids or gasses.
- ... describe energy transfer by convection, and give examples.
- ... recognize that convection occurs in fluids (gasses and liquids), not solids, and explain why.
- ... explain how Archimedes' Principle relates to convection.
- ... tell what happens to the temperature of a gas as the gas expands and is compressed.
- ... describe energy transfer by radiation, and give examples.
- ... explain why a good absorber of radiation must also be a good emitter of radiation.
- ... discuss Newton's Law of Cooling.