Number of Spaces Available: 6 out of 48
How to Register:
- Complete the online APPLICATION, which will be available on this site beginning Tuesday, January 24, after the meeting. Enrollment in the Mandarin Dual Language Immersion program is on a first come, first serve basis.
- Attend a parent information meeting listed below.
- Enroll your child at Batesville Primary School for Kindergarten while attending one of the parent information meetings or by calling 812-934-4509.
- If you live out of district, complete the transfer process by contacting Melissa Burton at 812-934-2194.
Parent Information Meetings will be held on:
Tuesday, January 24, 2017 at 6:00
Wednesday, February 22, 2017 at 6:30
Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 6:00
Each family is expected to attend one meeting to learn about the program and requirements if they are planning to enroll their child in the program. All meetings will be held in the Batesville Primary School Cafeteria.
Tuesday, January 24, 2017– Registration Begins after the meeting.
Friday, April 7, 2017– Applicants will receive a confirmation letter no later than April 7, 2017 indicating their enrollment in the program or their placement on the waiting list.
Monday, May 1, 2017– Enrollment letters MUST be returned by parents to the BPS Office by 4:00 on May 1, 2017 to guarantee a spot in the program.
Monday-Thursday, July 31-August 3, 2017– Chinese Immersion Summer Camp 8:00-11:00
How are students selected for the program?
There are forty-eight (48) spaces available in the DLI program. Students will be enrolled in the program in the order the online registration is received. Once all the slots are full, the remaining students will be placed on a waiting list.
Notification of selections or placements on the waiting list will be sent out by May each year. Students who apply after the deadline will be placed on a waiting list in order of date of application.
Who can participate in the program?
The BCSC Mandarin Dual Immersion Program is open to all students of varying backgrounds and abilities enrolling in Kindergarten at Batesville Primary School. Parents who feel that their child may have significant communication delays in their first language should seriously weigh the pros and cons of enrolling their child in an immersion program.
Parents must agree to the following terms:
- Research indicates an immersion program is most effective when students remain in the program for a sustained period of time. The student will be expected to continue the program until the fifth grade unless a team decision is made involving the parent and school staff that it is in the best interest of the student to have different placement.
- I understand that I will need to read to or with my child at home 20-30 minutes daily in English.
- There will also be homework in Chinese. I will commit to helping my child with their homework.
- I will give positive reinforcement to my child and teacher. I understand that it is not unusual for children in this program to experience some fatigue, tears, and frustration during the first months. Knowing this, I will not remove my child for this reason.
- I understand that fifty percent of my child’s instruction time will be in Mandarin Chinese.
- I understand that regular and punctual student attendance is required. I commit to having my child attend school regularly and on time.
- I understand that throughout the program pictures and videos of my child will be taken and used for educational and promotional purposes.