Histoire

The history of the Batesville Community School Corporation dates back to shortly after the completion of the Batesville town plat in 1852. In the 1850s, un bâtiment scolaire journal a été érigé à l'angle du Sud et de l'Ouest (Sycomore) Streets. Shortly thereafter, le bâtiment a été remplacé par un bâtiment petit cadre avec une chambre.

Le bâtiment a été déplacé petit cadre dans la rue dans les années 1870 pour être utilisé comme logement et le système scolaire public a utilisé une partie de Union Hall, construit par Sebastian Messersmith dans 1865, until erecting a two-story brick building in 1875. This brick schoolhouse contained four rooms, deux à l'étage et deux au rez-de-chaussée avec un large couloir d'avant en arrière.

En Mars 1888, the school system’s board of directors made the decision to construct an addition onto the schoolhouse at a cost of $1,500. Based upon continued population growth, a second school building was erected at the corner of Mulberry and Pearl Street in 1895-96. The total cost of the new school was $5,700 – $5,000 pour le bâtiment et $700 for the purchase of the land. At this time, l'école secondaire se composait de deux ans et cérémonies Batesville Haute École premier commencement ont eu lieu en 1901.

En 1910, Batesville Lycée (BHS) became an accredited four-year program. En 1910-11, the new building was remodeled in order to include BHS as a four-year high school. As the town grew and needs changed, le système scolaire construit un nouveau stand-alone l'école secondaire à l'angle de Mulberry et Columbus Avenue, à 1926-27 at a cost of $56,000. The site for the high school was given by the late George M. Hillenbrand et comprenait suffisamment de terrain pour les courts de tennis, une piste, et une grande aire de jeux.

Avec la construction de la nouvelle école secondaire, la nécessité a disparu pour une école plus grande que celle de deux étages construite en 1875 on the corner of South and Sycamore Streets. There was a need, cependant, for a smaller building to house first and second grade students. Since no better site was available, la structure de deux étages a été rasé et une nouvelle histoire d'une école, l'immeuble Ward, a été érigé.

Le système scolaire public Batesville étendu sa zone de chalandise et, dans les années 1930, a commencé à utiliser les autobus scolaires pour amener les élèves à partir de Laughery, Adams, and Ray townships as tuition students. Student enrollment continued to grow and this necessitated the addition of more buildings to the main campus along Mulberry Street. En 1938, a gymnasium was built between the elementary and high school buildings. Westwood Elementary School was constructed in 1957 à l'angle sud-ouest du campus, et une nouvelle aile a été ajoutée quelques années plus tard dans 1961.

En 1963, le système Batesville école est devenue un regroupement connu sous le nom MSD. of Batesville. This consolidation incorporated the Batesville City Schools with the elementary schools of Hamburg, St. Marie, and Oldenburg. The M.S.D. de Batesville Batesville est devenu le Community School Corporation sur Janvier 1, 1965 based on a recommendation by the Ripley County School Reorganization Committee. Approximately eight square miles of northwest Adams Township were added to the school district at that time. En 1966, un ajout à Oldenburg Elementary School a été achevée, ce qui a permis d'ajouter un programme de maternelle seconde à la société et apporter des élèves de St. Marie et Hambourg.

En 1967, it again became necessary for the Batesville Community School Corporation to expand and build a new high school. Ground was broken on a sixty-acre plot at the corner of Huntersville Road and State Road 46 pour un $3 million building. The new high school was designed to accommodate 600 élèves des classes 7-12 and included a 650-seat auditorium and 3,200-seat gymnasium. The new high school opened for classes in the fall of 1968.

En 1973, plans were initiated to construct a middle school to educate students in grades 6-8. The building was erected on the previous high school site on Mulberry Street at a cost of $1.2 million. The new middle school was able to accommodate 600 les élèves et les premières classes se sont tenues à l'automne 1975.

Avec une population sans cesse croissante de Batesville, another new building was needed by the early 1990s. En 1991, Batesville l'école primaire, une grades K-3 bâtiment, was completed and the historic Oldenburg Elementary School was closed. Students who had previously attended Oldenburg began going to either Batesville Primary School for grades K-3 or the newly named Batesville Intermediate School for grades 4-5. A gymnasium was added on to the intermediate school.

À la fin des années 1990,, student enrollment numbers had begun pushing the capacities of both Batesville Middle School and Batesville High School. The enrollment demands resulted in a $12 millions de projet pour ajouter des espaces pour les deux bâtiments entre 1998 et 2000. These spaces included additional classrooms in both buildings, ainsi que d'un nouveau gymnase à l'école intermédiaire et les zones élargies de musique à l'école secondaire.

En 2011-12, l'Batesville Community School Corporation à nouveau répondu aux besoins de ses élèves en ajoutant 50,000 pieds carrés à Batesville Intermediate School (BIS) and renovating instructional areas at Batesville High School. The two-story addition at BIS allowed the school to become a grades 3-5 bâtiment et l'école primaire de prévoir maternelle à temps plein à la réalisation de l'espace supplémentaire.

PRÊT POUR EN SAVOIR PLUS?

Merveilleux! Nous sommes impatients de vous aider.